Those network meeting “2 minute talks”
Whatever Networking events you indulge in – there will be a need to describe what it is you do, and how you help your clients.
For some people doing this means
- it strikes the fear of god into them!
- they “wing it” every time and are never happy with what comes out
- they ramble on and on trying to tell everyone every nuance of how they can help
- they apologies for being an accountant/solicitor/coach/IFA (insert as appropriate!)
- they don’t really know what they want to achieve or who they want to meet.
As a result network attendees feel like they have lost a chance, messed up, not met the people they really want to meet, or worse – persuade themselves they can’t “network.”
So- in the on line networking world – how do we craft a 2 minute talk that flows, is honest, compelling and memorable?
The key to speaking with impact is to plan what you what to say!
This does mean slowing right down and taking a seat with your best customer. (Hypothetically speaking of course!)
What is it about that “best customer” that makes them so great?
- product or service?
How do you
- solve their problems
- delight them
- generate continued successes for them?
Once you have sketched this out its time to then consider if you
- want more customers like this?
- want more customers like this – but in a new sector?
- actually – want someone to collaborate with so you can “pitch” for more work/bigger gigs
Armed with this knowledge its much easier then to formulate a concise, focused talk about
- your business,
- the problems you solve/how you help
- who you have helped (success story)
- your ambitions about who else you would like to work with
- and how other people can help you – by telling them who you want to meet.
So you have the words – how to speak with confidence and conviction at an on line networking event.
The power of confidence will come when you have clarity on how you can help people and how they can help you.
There is no greater feeling you can give someone at a networking event than being open about how you can help them.In turn when you define what help you need, it makes it so much easier for people to help you.
There is NOTHING more frustrating that being told “I can do Business with anyone/everyone!” This catch all does nothing to make you memorable, nor enable people to help you.
So even if you can do Business with anyone (Printer, Accountant, Solicitor) BE SPECIFIC!
Being specific = even demanding will enable people to not only potentially help, but will also allow you to tailor how people can help.
So yes have an idea of 4-5 people/business types you would like to be connected with – and then adapt/rotate/cycle round what they are – even better make it adaptable and specific to what you learn from the the people you are networking with.
Body language and physiology in Networking
There are some basic tips for cultivating confidence before you step into the room. on go on Line
- Pack your business cards/ Add your Business Name to your Zoom name title
- Be on time
- Stand tall / Sit tall and make sure the lighting is good. It’s an old adage but yes, standing tall, sitting up straight shoulders back, head up are all powerful cues to your body that you are ready for action!
- Breathe! Tale a few deep breaths to ground yourself, clear your mind of what may have gone before and refocus on what you are here to achieve
- Smile – even if you are faking it!
- count back 5,4,3,2,1 and just do it!
I promise it will work – but you have to practice – so why not pop these pointers on a business card sized piece of card – it will make such a difference!
If any of these pointers have struck a chord, and yet you still think – arrgghh – then just get in touch. We can help on a 121 basis or with small groups to help you craft that perfect “table talk, and networking pitch.