Top 10 business networking questions – the art of asking good questions
So often people say – I have no idea what to say at a networking event!
That’s because we obsess about scripts, and pitches, and that all important 30 second elevator pitch. Lucky for our business network members – we don’t do our networking in a lift!
We give space and time to really get to know people – but often people say “I don’t know what to ask – my mind just goes blank when I am at a business networking event!”
Read on to find our top 10 business networking questions
At its base level – business networking is actually about
- Gathering facts
- Making connections
- Sharing information, knowledge and expertise
- Helping others
- Being a good listener and making connections with other people
Top 10 business networking questions
So here are our Top 10 business networking questions to get you going!
“Getting to Know Them” business networking questions
- What do you do?
- How long have you been doing it?
- How did you get involved in it?
- What kind of projects are you working on right now?
- What’s your favourite part of the job?
- What do you enjoy doing outside of work?
- Who would be an ideal client?
- What’s next for you in your Business?
- How can I help you – who do you want to be meeting – customers? Suppliers? Collaborators? Good referral partners?
- Shall we connect on Linked in? and if synergy – Shall we arrange a 121??
When you see our top 10 business networking questions I’m sure you will agree its simple stuff really.
Don’t use it as a script – be genuinely interested in the other person and remember its not a chance to sell or just talk about you – it’s a chance to learn about the other person.
Top 10 business networking questions- Act as if you are……
Also – imagine you are one of your favourite interviewers – James Corden, Ophra, Ellen, Jim Al Khalili or Lauren Laverne – and you will do just fine! Watch them as work and you will see it’s rarely about them – its always about the person they are interviewing!
They are masters at listening – which is the other critical element when asking questions to find out more about someone. If you don’t listen to their responses – how daft and rude will you appear!
So often when the other person is talking we are too busy thinking what we will ask ( or say about ourselves!) next! So it’s important to silence that mind monkey when networking and stay focused on the other person!
So watch out for our later post on the art of listening – you never know how it will impact your Networking success!
And if you want any other advice or any of the points raised here have made you think you would benefit from more hands on support – just give get in touch by completing the form below or calling Tracy on 07768926602 or email Tracy@business-network.co.uk.