Networking – the art of asking good questions
So often people say – I have no idea what to say at a networking event!
That’s because we obsess about scripts, and pitches, and that all important 30 second elevator pitch. Luck for our network members – we don’t do our networking in a lift!
We give space and time to really get to know people – but often people say “I don’t know what to ask – my mind goes blank!”
At its base level – networking is actually about
- Gathering facts
- Making connections
- Sharing information, knowledge and expertise
- Helping others
- Being a good listener and making connections with other people
So here are some simple questions to get you going!
“Getting to Know Them” Networking Questions
- What do you do?
- How long have you been doing it?
- How did you get involved in it?
- What kind of projects are you working on right now?
- What’s your favourite part of the job?
- What do you enjoy doing outside of work?
- Who would be an ideal client?
- What’s next for you in your Business?
- How can I help you – who do you want to be meeting – customers? Suppliers? Collaborators? Good referral partners?
- Shall we connect on Linked in? and if synergy – Shall we arrange a 121??
Simple stuff really – don’t use it as a script – be genuinely interested in the other person and you will do just fine!
The other critical side is listening – so often when the other person is talking we are too busy thinking what we will ask next! So its important to silence that mind monkey when networking and stay focused on the other person!
So watch our for our later post on the Art of listening – you never know how it will impact your Networking success!
And if you want any other advice or any of the points raised here have made you think you would benefit from more hands on support – just give us a call!
Tracy @ 07768 926 602